While seasonal allergies are most commonly associated with the spring, a large number of individuals suffer during the autumn months as well. In addition to sneezing and congestion, symptoms that affect the eyes are often the primary cause of discomfort.
Eyes are often itchy, puffy, and red and often sting or tear. Vision can often be affected as well by blurriness or sensitivity to light. These symptoms can make it so uncomfortable for allergy sufferers that they interfere with all aspects of everyday life – from work to play.
If you wear contacts, eye allergies are frequently worse since contact lenses can often attract allergens. Additionally, when our eyes itch, our first reaction is to rub them which can cause even more discomfort for those wearing contacts. Contact wearers experiencing ocular allergies often find themselves using wetting drops more frequently or even reducing the use of their contacts or primarily wearing eyeglasses. If you wear contacts and experience ocular allergies, it could help you to try switching brands, particularly to single use, daily disposables which reduce the potential for pollen accumulation. If you are experiencing problems from your contacts, visit our Duluth, MN eye care practice to discuss your condition.
For anyone suffering here are a few ways to reduce exposure and symptoms of fall eye allergy symptoms:
- Check the local pollen count and stay indoors when counts are high, particularly at peak times such as midday.
- Keep windows closed as much as possible, especially when driving.
- Use a clothes dryer rather than hanging clothing out to dry whenever possible.
- Clean floors with a damp mop rather than sweeping which can often stir up rather than get rid of allergens.
- Refrigerate eye drops or use cool compresses for extra soothing.
- Clean areas prone to mold frequently with a bleach solution.
If over the counter medications are not helping you may need something stronger. If this is the case, schedule an appointment with your eye doctor now to talk about your options and begin effective treatment. Our Duluth, MN eye care practice would be happy to assist your eyes feel their best despite allergy season!